UniFi Cloud Gateway Ultra compatibility

Discussion about Aquiss FTTP services
karlbbb

Hi all,

I'm currently just past the end of my first contract with Aquiss, on the 500Mb package. I'm considering ordering a year at 900Mb and have just upgraded my house from a Deco X20 pair to a UniFi system, with the Cloud Gateway Ultra as my router/gateway etc.

I have noticed that the UniFi Express is listed as only "Partial Compatibility" with a note that hardware/PPPoE limitations are capping that unit at 500Mbps and I'm wondering if anyone has tried with the UCG-Ultra? I'm a bit nervous about ordering a year at 900Mb then hitting hardware limitations.
HANIDI

Hi

no need to worry, the UCG will work fine with aquiss and 900mb.

iv been using mine for about 6 months without any issue with the gateway or aquiss so you will be fine.
previously i was using the express which was also fine with aquiss but it was just to slow as far as hardware goes compared to the UCG.

no cap on either, getting full speeds at all times.
Bwlmog

Afternoon,

I have the Dream Machine Pro acting as my router for the Aquiss service with a number of UniFi access points and hard wired points around the house and it all operates flawlessly.

UniFi is such a good system
karlbbb

Thanks both, that's good to hear!

As an aside, if I want to order 900Mb for a year, do I just "buy" it from the Aquiss website and it'll take over from my existing 500 package?
dseven

I saw some discussions about the UCG-Ultra, suggesting it maxes out around 700Mbps with PPPoE (and maybe with IDS enabled too). No personal experience, but https://community.ui.com/questions/UCG- ... 6e20377a55 might be worth a read.

Regarding upgrading your service, try https://ebilling.aquiss.net/ , select your current service, and see if there's anything under "Upgrade/Downgrade Options". I'm sure Martin will give you the official answer soon too ;)
knightion

dseven wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:01 pm suggesting it maxes out around 700Mbps with PPPoE (and maybe with IDS enabled too).
Can confirm this has been a long standing issue with most UniFi gear. Some firmware versions better than others but when it hits the router can only use one core so speeds get throttled beyond 700Mbps.
I ended up switching to an Opnsense box as a result
steviebuk

knightion wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:32 pm
dseven wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:01 pm suggesting it maxes out around 700Mbps with PPPoE (and maybe with IDS enabled too).
Can confirm this has been a long standing issue with most UniFi gear. Some firmware versions better than others but when it hits the router can only use one core so speeds get throttled beyond 700Mbps.
I ended up switching to an Opnsense box as a result
Is that the same as the Dream Machine Pro? Dave Plummer on YouTube (the guy that created Task Manager in Windows) did a vid on setting up WIFI in his big house (this is in the US). I believe he said he's got GB fibre and gets the full speed on his Dream Machine Pro.

Now he's said its actually got WIFI built into it, I'm tempted to save up for that and give my new Asus to my parents, the Ubiquiti console does look good, however I'm also aware Dave is loaded.
Bwlmog

I have the Dream Machine Pro and use it as my router with a number of Access Points and wired connections running off it and get the full 900mbps without any issue.
steviebuk

I'm on the 1200 package (when CityFibre pull their finger out and actually fix their broadband), so I assume it will do that?

Do you know what its like WIFI wise on its own without any other APs?
Bwlmog

steviebuk wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:38 pm I'm on the 1200 package (when CityFibre pull their finger out and actually fix their broadband), so I assume it will do that?

Do you know what its like WIFI wise on its own without any other APs?
Unless you’re going for the Dream Router or Dream Machine Wall then you’d need an AP for Wi-Fi and I’m don’t believe either has any 2.5gbe to handle anything above 1,000mbps