Location by ip address

Discussion about Aquiss FTTP services
PaulCM

Have noticed this for a while, and hasn’t caused us much problem as yet, but my static ip 4 address connects my location to somewhere in Bedfordshire or possibly Mitcham at the moment, but never where I actually live.

So is this likely to be a problem for Netflix/Disney et al as they tighten their password sharing or are they just checking consistent ip address.

I presume that there’s some form of database of ip address to physical location system - eg my neighbours EE setup returns the exact house number.

Any insights?
Paul

Ps: ipv6 geolocation??
dseven

I'm in Northern Ireland, but geoip services place me in various different parts of England and Wales. Aquiss support told me that there's nothing they can do about it, and I'd have to try to deal with the geoip services myself (get my IP addresses associated with my actual location in their databases). I still haven't figured out how to make Google maps right. It's a bit frustrating...
PaulCM

Ok so reading up - seems multiple providers for the geolocation databases or you can run your own. So guess someone like Disney would run one to link your ip to your address or pay for a 3rd party but provide the data.

So Google thinks I’m in London, Maxmind thinks I’m in Milton Keynes, but ipv6 in Feltham - others may think otherwise!

Just updated the details for my Maxmind account (pfsense uses it in pfblocker) so maybe it’ll catch up?

But guess one question is do you really care these databases are correct!
Martin
Staff

The key bit for us, is that the IPs are located within the UK, to ensure services within the UK are correctly working. The exact location, is often linked to where our termination kit is situated. We like most UK providers, don't regional issue IPs, as the resources of IPv4 are short supply as it is.

You really don't want to be giving your exact location away to every website you visit (certainly not at a property level).

That all said, we really don't want customers applying updates for our IP assignments (after all, you are leasing these from us) as that can have knock on problems.
Martin
Staff

Where the IP Addresses are our own (ie: non broker leased), we are going to look about supporting Geofeed control, which the GeoIP location companies will accept and pull from us.

I've created the development stack in our internal systems, so it will work its way up.